Now that your solar system is installed, its time to prepare to receive the benefits of your SRECs. One SREC is granted to you by the state for every 1000kWh (1MWh) of energy your grid tied solar system produces. GATS (Generation Attributes System) is the name of the system that administers and keeps track of SRECs.
For a refresher, feel free to review our previous post “How do New Jersey SRECs Work?”.
Most solar owners use an SREC Aggregator to sell their SRECs. SREC Aggregators are SREC Brokers who bundle the SRECs of many other generators like you to negotiate best sale pricing in the market.
At this point, you have two options for how to proceed, each of which ends up with an aggregator brokering your SRECs on your behalf:
Option A: You contact an Aggregator and tell them you have a new solar system and want them to sell your SRECs for you.
Option B: You register for your own GATS Account and register your own system, then contact an Aggregator to broker your SRECs as desired.
In both cases, the Aggregator you choose will walk you through any steps required for you to monetize your SRECs.
Here are some popular SREC Aggregators (EcoMen Solar lists these for your convenience only. The list is not exhaustive, and EcoMen Solar has no relation to or preference for any of the options):
- Flett Exchange https://www.flettexchange.com
- SREC Trade https://www.srectrade.com
- NJSREC http://www.njsrec.com
- Knollwood Energy https://www.knollwoodenergy.com
Should you choose option B, you will first need to create your GATS Account. Instructions for that are below. Additionally, you will be responsible for periodically entering solar production data into GATS, and then asking your Aggregator of choice to sell SRECs according to your desires.
2. Hover over the “GATS Sign In” in the upper left corner of the screen, and click “Not a Member? Register Here”.
3. On the registration page, fill out the sections listed by letter:
A. Select “Generator”.
B. Enter your First and Last Name as “Company Name”.
C. Enter your contact details.
D. Select Username, Password and Security Options.
E. Click the “Use Subscriber Information” button to copy your previously input contact information into the “Billing Information” section. Note that billing does not apply for a typical residential or commercial solar system.
F. Click “Submit for Approval”.
G. Confirm you want to submit your account information.
4. You will be sent an email to confirm your account. Once you confirm your account, GATS will approve your account by the end of the next business day.
5. Once you have a GATS approved account, log into GATS and register your system. When you do this, you will be responsible for entering certain technical information about your system. The GATS FAQ offers a variety of information to help you get through this process: https://www.pjm-eis.com/getting-started/faq.aspx.
Solar Solutions for New Jersey, New York, and Eastern Pennsylvania